Early and Forced Marriage Almanac of Flying Broom
The aim of the almanac is summarized by Doğan as “creating awareness about early and forced marriages, discussing the topic in parliamentary and in public, contributing for solution processes”. Parallel with the aim, “Early Age and/or Forced Marriage Almanac 2010” which is continued for 5 years is published by Flying Broom Women Communication and Research Association. The almanac includes 80 new from the World and Turkey in the sense of struggles and solutions of “3rd page of newspaper”.
Selen Doğan from Flying Broom remembered that early and forced marriages are a kind of violation of rights and added “We have to create awareness to make the situation more visible”. Doğan believes that the violence can only be solved with a right-based solution. “Marriage is the legitimated area of the violence. Early and Forced marriages are the infringement of the right”. Doğan also emphasized that the solution can be realized by legislators, academicians, media, and women organizations. Grand National Assembly of Turkey (TBMM) Equality of Gender Commission put in the agenda the issue of early marriages by constructing a sub-commission which is not the “exact” solution; however, it is also an important stage.
Translation: Demet Gülçiçek (Volunteer of Civil Society Development Center)
- The annual report of World Economic Forum: Turkey is 126 in the rank of 134 on the subject of equality of women and men
- Turkey In Top Five of RSF “Journalists in Jail” List!
- Death of 815 Children could have been Prevented
- 140journos, mobile application of free journalism
- The Mayor of Ankara, Melih Gökçek Openly Discriminates Against LGBT People!